Sophie the Giraffe Toy Product Liability
Sophie the Giraffe has been a popular children’s chewing toy for generations. But after some parents recently found mold growing inside the toy, people have been wondering if Sophie the Giraffe is safe.
HOW IS THE MOLD GETTING THERE?
Sophie has a hole that lets air in and out, which makes the toy squeezable. This also means moisture can get inside either by the saliva of a child chewing the giraffe or the result of parents cleaning it.
According to the toys’ manufacturer, Sophie isn’t low maintenance. The toy is composed of 100 percent natural rubber, so cleaning instructions are thorough. As indicated on the packaging, it is recommended that the surface of the toy is cleaned with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in water or rinsed off.
IS MOLD DANGEROUS?
Mold spores are in the air that we breathe every day so most babies and adults are not affected.
According to NBC and an interview with Dr. Saul Hymes, assistant professor of clinical pediatrics at Stony Brook Medicine, mold in this toy is not necessarily something to worry about unless the child has an allergy to mold.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY SOPHIE HAS MOLD?
No recall has been announced for Sophie the Giraffe and no reported illnesses have been directly tied to the mold issue. However, if your toy has mold inside, cease use immediately.
Any sign of mold in toys, including Sophie, should be reported at www.saferproduct.gov. The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission will investigate reports to determine what action should be taken.
If your child falls ill or is injured because of a product, let us handle your case. We’ll get the compensation you deserve.